Friday, April 5, 2013

An Appalachian Spring Festival

Monday the 8th through Tuesday the 16th, the Baltimore School for the Arts will be presenting an Appalachian Spring Festival, a week’s worth of activities for students and the community centered around Martha Graham, Aaron Copland, and Isamu Noguchi’s iconic masterpiece. The week will be capped by a student performance of the dance, produced with the support of the Martha Graham Dance Company — a first for a high school. Particularly exciting for me is that the book Ballet for Martha: Making Appalachian Spring will be a part of the week. I’ll be speaking with students about making the book on Friday the 12th and Saturday the 13th. (I’ll be doing my best to carry the flag for the whole Ballet for Martha team, including authors Jan Greenberg and Sandra Jordan, and editor Neal Porter. While in Baltimore I will also try to eat crabs for the four of us.) I’ll also be speaking more generally about my work at the Southeast Branch of the Enoch Pratt Free Library on Friday afternoon at 1:00, and at the Pratt’s Central Branch on Saturday at 2:00. My thanks to the Baltimore School for the Arts for the chance to be a part of this exciting and ambitious festival. I hope to see some of you there!

More about the Baltimore School for the Arts is here, and details of the Appalachian Spring Festival are here. The Enoch Pratt Free Library’s web site is here. Visit the Martha Graham Dance Company’s web site here, and read more about the book on my web site, here.


No comments: